Monday, February 2, 2009

Yale Treasure Hunting





The Yale art museum always gives me a feeling of a treasure hunt, you know the stone coffered-like ceiling, gray-ish flooring, very cave like without the work.. well in it I found a few treasures, in the modern arts section. I am not a fan of the traditional stuff, I prefer the abstract except in few cases like the Edwin Austin Abbey listed above. It is a scene from Hamlet , my picture does no justice, but the feeling was so intense. I have a story also to add to the intensity.... I was being tailed by a security guard who thuoght he was slick.... but thats another blog. Anyhoo, I could stand there for quite some time just staring into the details of this painting, it just pulls you in. But the reds are wonderful, they've got this sinister energy. The scene depicted is from Hamlet act 3 scn. 2, in which Hamlet has set up a play
to "play" on the guilt of Claudius for murdering his father..... anyway, you can feel that through the red in the king and queens clothing, the almost fiery lighting in the background, the stripe on the cap of the jester.... so many things that were great about this painting. Its a go see. And of course the Picassos were wonderful too. My favorites were the Seated woman on the red wall, it pulls you right in, the Juan Gris / Journal et Compotier, and Van Gogh's Le Cafe de Nuit, because of the movement and color.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Treasure hunting is a good way to put it!

The night Café is a favorite of mine.