Monday, February 9, 2009

Recession hits Museum

Hello Everyone,
I was just thinking this weekend, has the recession affected Art Museums? I was able to find an article on Livemint.com that discusses how Brandeis University has to close their museum due to the recession. This is incredible to me, however, everyone I talk to are all in agreement that it appears that funding concerning the Arts is the first thing to go when budgets are slashed. Please read this article as I think it has much meaning to what we are learning this MOD.

http://www.livemint.com/articles/2009/01/28091403/Recession-hit-US-varsity-to-se.html

Also, I will be posting my 3rd paper regarding my visit to the Yale Art Gallery. We had such an incredible experience I can't wait for you all to read about it.

-Ryan

3 comments:

C.M.B Day Spa said...

Thanks for the info. I read the article and that is really to bad for the students to be missing out. It did'nt mention what will happen to the 350 mil collection. will it go to one museum or multiple musuem?

a.Nailah said...

Yes it has hit.... I just saw something concerning the Mark Twain Museum which is also having an issue finding funding and may soon have to close their doors. I've also lost my job as a FT Sub and PT art teacher at a local charter school because of budget cuts. YES art programs are always the 1st on the chopping block.

Jerry said...

Thanks for the observation, Ryan!